How Much Is My Truck Accident Settlement Worth?
When it comes to truck accidents, there is almost no such thing as a fender bender. Those riding in passenger cars usually suffer severe injuries, and car damage is often beyond repair.
Many truck accident victims seek the aid of a skilled attorney to help repair damage and quell the emotional and financial burden that follows.
Those involved in trucking accidents often ask how much their potential case is worth. Here we explain a few factors that can impact how much compensation you could receive if you’ve suffered from a trucking accident.
How Can a Truck Accident Attorney Help Me?
Truck accident cases can involve multi-car pileups with big rigs or tanker trucks spilling dangerous cargo. Because of this, these complex collisions require the extensive expertise of a truck accident attorney.
In the aftermath of a trucking accident, an injured victim might file a civil lawsuit to claim financial damages. However, insurance companies typically try to settle a claim quickly, before the extent of vehicle damage or injuries is determined. For this reason, it is common for insurance companies to offer a much lower settlement than what a truck accident lawyer can help you obtain.
An experienced truck accident attorney can stand up to your insurance company and help you recover the full amount you deserve.
How Do I Handle the Trucker’s Insurance Company?
Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially after the trauma of a trucking accident.
Often, insurance companies will try to shift the blame from their driver to the other party. A truck accident attorney can provide a team of experts to analyze the scene of the crash as well as the vehicles involved to determine the events exactly as they occurred.
A law firm can request for any physical evidence to be retained, such as black box data that can reveal the trucker’s actions during the collision.
It can be difficult to determine the long-term effects of a victim’s injuries following a wreck, as some symptoms do not appear right away. The need for surgery is not always immediately obvious, and assigning the right treatment can take time. Psychological or lifestyle changes may also not be apparent until after completing treatment.
An experienced truck accident attorney will handle all aspects of working with the other party’s insurance company so that you can focus on your recovery.
How Is My Settlement Calculated?
Several factors are used to determine your truck accident settlement amount. There are two types of damages you can claim: economic (monetary) damages and non-economic damages, which includes pain and suffering. Combined, these are known as compensatory damages.
Economic damages include:
- Medical expenses, including all costs related to treatment of injuries, such as ambulance rides, emergency room care, doctor’s bills, hospital stays, medication costs, surgeries, procedures, rehabilitation, and therapy
- Lost income, including potential bonuses, vacation or sick time, past or future lost wages
- Property damage, including damage and loss to a motor vehicle
Non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering, including physical pain, disfigurement, anxiety, fear, grief, insomnia, and loss of quality of life
- Emotional pain, including emotional distress, PTSD and other mental disorders brought on by the incident and living with fear daily
- Loss of consortium, including loss of companionship with a spouse or other relationship
- Punitive damages can be obtained if a trucker acted in a way that was likely to cause harm to other drivers, such as by reckless driving
Other factors that may impact your semi-truck accident settlement include:
- Insurance Coverage: The FMCSA requires trucks to have $750,000-$5,000,000 policies. An experienced trucking attorney will obtain the exact coverage limits for the truck involved in the accident. These expenses help determine the damages of the accident.
- Proving Negligence: In truck accidents, both the truck driver and trucking company, among others, can be found negligent. Negligence can include using an improperly maintained vehicle, driver error, etc. Proving negligence can help establish that the truck driver was at fault.
Fried Rogers Goldberg: Your Truck Accident Attorneys
Do you have questions about what your potential case might be worth? We are available to discuss the details of your circumstance in a free, private consultation. If you’ve suffered injuries in a trucking accident, seeking legal representation is an important step in your recovery process.
At Fried Rogers Goldberg LLC, 95% of our caseload consists of representing victims who have been seriously injured or lost a loved one in a truck accident. Our firm has litigated hundreds of truck accident cases, obtaining multiple 7 and 8 figure verdicts and settlements on behalf of our clients.
We offer a risk-free consultation to assess your claim for free and help you determine if you are entitled to compensation. Regardless of the circumstances of your claim, our lawyers may be able to help you pursue the financial compensation you are entitled to as a result of your injury or loss.
Call us today at (404) 591-1800 to set up your free and private case evaluation.
The Truck Accident Attorneys
The Truck Accident Attorneys at Fried Rogers Goldberg LLC devote at least 75% of their caseload to representing the victims of accidents involving tractor trailers and other commercial vehicles. Our extensive experience with the laws governing the trucking industry is the reason we are routinely successful at taking on trucking companies when someone is seriously injured.
Get a Free Case Evaluation
The Truck Accident Attorneys
The Truck Accident Attorneys at Fried Rogers Goldberg LLC devote at least 95% of their caseload to representing the victims of accidents involving tractor trailers and other commercial vehicles. Our extensive experience with the laws governing the trucking industry is the reason we are routinely successful at taking on trucking companies when someone is seriously injured.
Table of Contents
Get a Free Case Evaluation
Use the form to send your message to a lawyer at our firm. One of our experienced attorneys is prepared to speak with you. Consultations are free and confidential.
(404) 591 - 1800
Our team of experienced attorneys have represented individuals who have been seriously injured. We are proud of our track record of success, which sets us apart, and the outstanding reputation we have within our industry.