As the demand for immediate delivery increases, so does the number of delivery vehicles on the road. In recent years, Amazon has moved away from using standard services like UPS and FedEx. Instead, it has started delivering its own packages.
Deliveries have become even more frantic and urgent as Amazon has introduced Prime delivery, next-day delivery, and even same-day delivery. Catering to people’s need for ever-faster service, Amazon has ramped up its delivery efforts.
In doing so, there have been a large number of accidents involving Amazon delivery drivers. Many of these crashes have been deadly while others have caused serious injury. This is a major issue that is getting worse, and people may need legal recourse. Why is this happening?
Why Are There so Many Amazon Delivery Truck Accidents?
The amount of accidents involving an Amazon delivery truck since mid-2015 is astounding. Have a look at these figures:
- At least 10 deaths caused by Amazon drivers have been recorded
- More than 60 accidents have been identified since June 2015
- Amazon was a defendant in at least 100 related lawsuits
New reports and studies reveal why this is happening. The increased pressure on drivers to make deadlines and meet quotas is a huge factor. More rushing means more mistakes, carelessness, and road violations:
- Drivers must often deliver upwards of 250 packages a day, leaving only a time window of a few minutes for each delivery
- Speeding and reckless driving can be common as drivers struggle to drop off orders before the deadline
- Amazon drivers have been observed driving vehicles filled with enough packages to block their windshields and hamper visibility
- Drivers are likely working while fatigued, oftentimes even skipping bathroom breaks just to complete their runs
To contrast this, regular commercial truck drivers are subject to strict federal time limits to avoid driving fatigue. They are required to take breaks at certain times during routes. However, Amazon drivers may not necessarily adhere to these requirements and often operate under grueling working conditions.
Elements like this create driving situations where they are rushed, inattentive, and in many cases, flat-out reckless.
Amazon Truck Accident Factors
As with any type of car or truck accident, Amazon delivery driver accidents can involve a broad range of injuries and factors. However, certain aspects of Amazon Prime trucks can make them more dangerous than standard passenger vehicles.
For one, most Amazon vans and trucks are larger than your standard car. Because they are filled with large amounts of cargo, they’re heavier as well. In spite of this, they can still be quite nimble in ways that conventional big rigs are not. This maneuverability can make them sometimes appear “out of nowhere,” especially if the driver is speeding or driving dangerously. The resulting collisions can be deadly.
Common injury types and scenarios associated with an Amazon truck crash can include:
- Whiplash (from rear-end accidents)
- Spine and traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Truck-pedestrian accidents (these can be particularly dangerous)
- T-bone accidents, usually from stoplight and stop sign violations
- Speeding violations
- DUI or DWI incidents
- Sudden lane changes
- Overall negligent or reckless driving
Steps to Take if You’ve Been Involved in an Amazon Delivery Driver Accident
If you were involved in an Amazon vehicle accident, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately for any injuries.
Our commercial vehicle accident attorneys recommend taking these steps to help you in pursuing a claim:
- Capture photos or videos of the accident scene
- Make note or take pictures of any visible injuries
- Write down other symptoms that aren’t visible, such as headaches or dizziness
- Collect relevant contact and information from all parties involved
- Gather any statements from witnesses at the scene
- File a report with the local police, as well as with Amazon Logistics. You can call 844-311-0406 for 24/7 assistance or to report an incident.
Be sure to take these actions as soon as possible. Potential evidence like skid marks or broken glass can fade or be removed from the scene quickly.
You should also try to create a written account of what happened while the events are still fresh in your memory. This will help as you speak with an attorney to recount how the events played out.
A Word on Liability
Drivers mainly work for what are known as “Amazon Delivery Partner Services” (DSP). These are companies and drivers that Amazon has hired out as independent contractors. For this reason, there is still debate as to who exactly is to be held liable for accident injuries.
These are complex legal determinations, but an experienced injury attorney can help sort out the details and help you obtain the proper recovery you need.
How Can an Accident Attorney Help Me?
Injuries caused by reckless Amazon delivery drivers can be serious, life-changing, or even deadly. Your losses may warrant compensation. Depending on the circumstances, this can cover:
- Medical bills and expenses
- Property damage
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity
- Loss of companionship
- Pain and suffering
Keep in mind that there are filing deadlines and other potential requirements. Without the assistance and guidance of an attorney, it can be difficult to know where to begin or how to file.
Get in Touch with a Truck Accident Attorney
Amazon trucks and vans have caused much damage and grief to unsuspecting drivers and pedestrians. If you have been affected, we understand the hardships and difficulties you may be experiencing. Our lawyers can help review your situation and guide you toward the fair and favorable compensation you deserve.
With more than 75 years of combined experience handling commercial vehicle accidents, our team has the resources and expertise to ensure you are properly represented. Get in touch with us at Fried Rogers Goldberg, LLC to speak with a lawyer who can help you pursue justice.